Friday 23 May 2014

Pumpkin Soup



I love winter.  Aside from the nasty bugs that float about of course.  I love the rain. I love snuggling up inside a warm house with a cup of coffee & a mag.  
I love donning the flannies & watching a flick.  I love pulling the covers right up to your chin.  I love filling the house with delicious smells from the kitchen.
I love COMFORT FOOD.


Winter is soup season.
Perhaps the grandmother of all is PUMPKIN soup.
I had a hankering for a big bowl of orange so I set out to deliver the goods to my peeps.  You may feel the need to share the love in your house..  ENJOY!








1.5 kg Pumpkin cut into chunks - I like to use JAP (try and cut roughly the same size so that they roast evenly)
1 large onion chopped fine
1 litre of GF chicken stock - I use Massel
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cumin
4 garlic cloves - I like the convenience of Gourmet Garden Chunky Garlic Stir-In Paste
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 190°C 
Place pumpkin pieces on an oven tray, drizzle with half the olive oil and bake for 30 minutes ensuring pumpkin is cooked through but doesn't burn.
Heat remaining oil in a large heavy based saucepan and gently fry the onion until translucent.
Add the Nutmeg, Cumin and Garlic.
Add pumpkin and stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and  simmer until stock has reduced.
Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.

Using a stick blender, carefully blitz until desired consistency is achieved.  Make sure your stick blender is completely submerged in hot soup so as to avoid splashes.  


Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of chopped chives and perhaps some GF garlic bread.  I found a great product recently in the supermarket from Jase's Kitchen which is yum and a perfect accompaniment here.

So there you have it.  The perfect comfort food.
It's another wintery day here in Perth today.  Guess what's for lunch?  Gotta love leftovers!



No comments:

Post a Comment