Sunday 28 April 2013

War food and other misdemeanors



There's a running joke in our house about war food.  My husband must have had a terrible youth. Honestly, the way Garrick tells it, his mother subjected him to the most unnecessary evils from the kitchen it would make your hair curl..  Pfft.. I know better.  Tell your story walking Garrick.
If you ask me, I reckon he had it too good.
Roast silverside and white sauce.. WAR FOOD.  Hearty casseroles.. WAR FOOD.  Tuna sandwiches.. WAR FOOD.

You are kidding right. 

So an opportunity arose to make MEATLOAF.  The godfather of WAR FOOD. Bwahahahahahahaha <cackling like the wicked witch>  I'm SO DOING it

The inspiration for this wicked idea came from a culmination of the recent Donna Hay magazine (issue 68 April/May 2013) and Super Food Ideas magazine (issue 146 April 2013).  Both had some awesome meatloafy ideas which started the creative juices flowing. I'm sure I could transform this old sea dog into a gluten free goddess and convert the unbeliever.. or could I?

and so doubting Thomases this is what I did..

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic - I used 3 teaspoons of Gourmet Garden Garlic Paste (contains no allergens)
12 slices of gluten free pancetta
1 cup fresh gluten free breadcrumbs
1/4 cup milk
400g lamb mince
400g pork mince
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup Fountain gluten free steak sauce
1/4 cup gluten free tomato sauce
2 tablespoons of Italian Herbs

Make some mashed potato for the topping - totally your preference for potato (I used Nadine) 50g butter, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup grated cheddar (not rocket science people) 

Preheat oven to 180°C.  Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and fry until softened and slightly translucent.

Line a large loaf tin with pancetta slices slightly overlapping each piece.

Add the milk to the breadcrumbs and set aside 

Combine meats, egg, steak sauce, tomato sauce, onion mix, herbs then add the breadcrumbs once milk has been absorbed.  Get in there and use your hands people.  Feel the meatloafy goodness.. be at one with the meatloaf..

Press the mix into your meaty lined loaf tin, press down to expel any air and basically look pretty and fold over overhanging pancetta.  Place on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes.  Wait 5 minutes before turning out, then once out, put back into the oven for around 10 minutes to give your pancetta some colour.  Spoon or pipe on your mash (I piped of course - I was on a mission to impress), dot with butter and into the oven she goes again for approx 20 minutes (until golden). 

The funniest thing was, Garrick wasn't even home but it was a triumph God Dammit.  I road tested it on my teenage son, my two littlies and my son's friend - it was sleepover night (I know.. it could have ended very badly) but I was quietly confidant.  They inhaled it.  I'd say that was a sure fire sign if ever I'd seen one.  He he - this little black duck has just added to the dish it up list.. war food my bum.




No comments:

Post a Comment