Sunday 30 June 2013

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

Whilst I was faffing about on the net I stumbled across this recipe from cookiescupcakesandcardio.com and decided to give it a burl.

I made slight adjustments in order for my cookies to be gluten free but haven't strayed too far from the original.  I used White Wings Gluten Free Flour for this recipe but I'm sure other brands of gluten free flour work just as well.  I made a point of resting the dough for at least a couple of hours before rolling out and honestly, with a light dusting of flour on my work surface beforehand, it was pretty user friendly and not sticky like gluten free dough can be. So I'm not going to beat around the bush here - these cookies have a lot of sugar and a lot of butter so if that's a problem, these are obviously NOT FOR YOU.  Otherwise, knock yourself out.  Here's what I did

Ingredients

3 Cups White Wings Gluten Free Plain Flour     
3/4 cup butter at room temperature (171 grams)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp thickened cream
1 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum


Method
Using an electric mixer, whip butter
Add sugar
Add egg & scrape down sides before adding further ingredients
Add vanilla & cream
Once light and fluffy, add flour (a little at a time), xanthan gum, salt and baking powder
Mix on low until a soft dough forms and pulls away from bowl - add extra flour if too sticky
Halve the mix, shape into a disc and wrap each portion in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours

Roll out pastry and cut desired shapes - place on trays lined with baking paper  
Cook for 6-8 minutes at 200° C
Allow to cool completely on trays once removed from oven  

The original recipe also called for 1 tsp of almond extract of which I did not use purely because I didn't have any :)  The cookies tasted fabulous anyway.   


No comments:

Post a Comment