Friday 10 February 2012

Livwell Bread Rolls & Pitta Breads

ALL coeliacs or gluten intolerant persons will tell you that gluten free bread is 'generally' pretty ordinary to say the least..

In early December 2011 I discovered 2 new products in the bakery aisle of my local supermarket.

What was I doing in the bakery aisle you may well ask.. lost perhaps.. dazed and confused by the vast array of gluten laden delights displayed before me.. and there they were.. beckoning almost..

A packet of 4 individually wrapped small white bread rolls that actually looked like REAL bread rolls and nearby a packet of 4 white pitta breads. GLUTEN FREE. Hallelujah! I couldn't wait to get home and tell all and sundry about my find.

The bread rolls taste great. I find the bread rolls are at their optimum if zapped in the microwave on full power (as recommended on the packaging) for 10-15 seconds and then filled with whatever gluten free gastronomical delight that takes your fancy. They look and taste very similar to real bread. Abbey takes one to kindy every day for lunch and just blends in with all the other kids. It's so important for little people to feel part of the crowd.

I made the mistake of trying to fill the pitta bread without heating first, resulting in a crumbled mess. It is recommended to place under a preheated grill for 1-2 minutes, turning once to warm and produce a pocket. I think the pitta bread would also be great as a naan substitute when having a curry. Worth experimenting.


I found both products in Coles. I was advised in December that the bread rolls were available nationally from Coles and pitta breads only at selected stores. Check them out.

2 comments:

  1. I have too tried this product and agree that the taste and look are excellent, although a bit on the tiny side. The product however was dry and brittle which was no surprise given the 3+ month shelf life but if I were served this in a restaurant for example, I would be outraged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous
    Are you talking about the rolls?
    Sure I tend to agree IF eaten straight from the packaging which is why they recommend to heat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and then filled. Did you try this? It really does make a difference. Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

    ReplyDelete